DUE: TUE, FEB 7 2017; 9:30 am
Length: 2-4 paragraphs
Format: Email PDF Attachment or Hard Copy
* * * * *
Choose a song, performer, or genre that you would normally never listen to….DON’T listen yet.
Write 1-2 paragraphs that briefly describe your preconceptions about the style/performer/genre. You might also comment on your reasons for not listening to this type of music.
Listen to the song three times in a critical manner. Think about and comment on things like rhythm, melody, harmony, how the song is assembled,
instruments, the vocalist, lyrics, etc. You might want to take notes the second and third times.
Write 1-2 paragraphs that comment on the actual listening experience by considering all, some, or none of the following ideas:
- Is it different when you are concentrating on only listening?
- Were your preconceptions accurate? Rational?
- Does the music have value to you?
- What defines value for you?
- Is it possible for it to be “good” music even if you don’t like it?
- Did you change your mind?